It appears that NBC is hoping that the weekend will get here as quickly as possible in hopes to break the news cycle and all the attention on Nightly News Anchor Brian Williams.
The NY Post says that NBC News has quietly set up a “Brian Williams truth squad” to investigate his tall tales. The unit consists of a handful of producers and reporters who are initially focusing on his now-much-questioned Hurricane Katrina stories.
After there was no mention of the scandal Thursday on NBC’s morning news calls, including the 9:30 a.m. “Nightly News” call, Williams turned up in person Friday morning to apologize to the news division.
A source tells us, “Brian doesn’t usually come into the office until the afternoon, but he was here this morning in person at the 9 a.m. meeting and call. He told everyone, ‘This one’s on me,’ but the apology still seemed rather half-assed. NBC News president Deborah Turness told the group that she’s spending ‘100 percent of her time, day and night, to sort this out.’”
Insiders at NBC said there is anger toward Williams because he had been unwilling to fully take the blame. When he was writing his Wednesday night apology aired on “Nightly News,” sources say, Williams wanted the script to say “a bungled attempt by us,” but the staff revolted and insisted it be changed to “a bungled attempt by me” right before the broadcast went on the air.
The unit is being headed by Richie Esposito, a former New York Post police reporter.
Sources tell FTVLive that NBC brass is hoping that the Weekend will break the news cycle and the heat will be off, or at least turned down Williams by next week.
Good luck with that.
What is not good, you're in the middle of a crucial rating period and the News Boss of NBC has devoted 100% of her time to this.