Cops Say Reporter Set Her Car on Fire Leaving her Near Death

In a bizarre story out of Alabama, police say that a sports reporter who was severely burned in a car fire last month is responsible for starting the blaze that left her fighting for her life.

Natalie Pierre Williams, 26, is still recovering in the hospital after police say she doused her car with gasoline and set it ablaze while she was inside after an argument with her husband on her birthday.

The senior college football reporter for is still being treated for burns on over 75 percent of her body and has undergone multiple surgeries at UAB Hospital in Birmingham.

Authorities say Williams was driving her 30-year-old husband Chasten Leigh Williams on Sept. 8 when the couple's car suddenly veered into a wooded area and crashed into a tree about 2:30 a.m.

Her spouse told police he pulled his wife out of the car but then walked away because they had been feuding before the collision.

When he returned several minutes later, the car was engulfed in flames, Hoover police said.

Surveillance video from a nearby convenience store shows Williams buying a gallon of gasoline, a two-gallon gas container and a wand-style lighter moments before the fire was discovered.

The melted items were found in or around her vehicle after the fiery wreck, authorities said.

Police say Williams caused the blaze herself and authorities will not be pursuing any criminal charges.

Neither she or her husband were hurt in the initial small crash, which caused minor front-end damage.

It's still unclear what caused Williams to steer away from the road, police said.

"We still don't know exactly what prompted her actions that night but it appears there were a lot of emotions involved and sometimes actions and decisions are not responsible during those type moments," Police Capt. Gregg Rector told

Williams last month was placed on a ventilator while in critical condition, according to a GoFundMe page. says she has been making strides in her recovery and has been alert and talking over the past few weeks.

"It is the hope of the Hoover Police and Fire Department that the victim is able to have a full recovery," the Hoover Police Department said in a statement Wednesday.

"We urge everyone to please offer encouragement and support, not judgment, to this family in their time of need."

H/T NY Daily News