Philly Anchor Stalker Case Goes to Trial

The man that cops say stalked a Philly Anchor is finally going to trial.

Police say John Hart was stalking KYW Anchor Erika Von Tiehl.

It happened shortly after Von Tiehl moved to Philly and started working at KYW. 

Von Tiehl moved to area from Miami in 2010 where she co-anchors the early morning edition of Eyewitness News.

A Pasadena, Calif., native, she comes off as easygoing and funny in a get-to-know-you Q&A video on the station's website, the kind of promotion aimed at making viewers feel connected to their local media personalities.

Maintaining a social-media presence is a part of that approach, too, and it was on Facebook that von Tiehl was first contacted by Hart in 2011.

Investigators said Hart played it cool, welcoming her to the area, and the two wound up exchanging messages for weeks before finally going out on a date.

Like many of his other romantic encounters, this one was brief.

Von Tiehl, 34, broke up with Hart in early October 2011. Within a week, the unnerving text messages started to show up on her cellphone.

And then someone started to call Verizon Wireless and Comcast, changing von Tiehl's phone number and canceling her cable.

According to court records, both von Tiehl and a state parole officer listened to a recording of one of the calls that was made to Verizon.

Both recognized the voice. It allegedly belonged to Hart, the records show.

Hart was arrested Nov. 16, 2011, and charged with identity theft, harassment, stalking, unlawful use of a computer and related offenses.

"After three years, it's a relief to finally see this case go to trial," von Tiehl said in an email.

"I believe it is important for me to see this through to the end, not just for myself but on behalf of other women who may have been the target of this type of harassment. I am looking forward to putting this behind me."

Turned out that von Tiehl wasn't Hart's only alleged victim in 2011.

Police say Vo Tiehl isn't the only woman that Hart stalked and now he is about to face those charges in court.

Let's hope this idiot gets a longtime behind bars.

Just saying.... 

H/T Philadelphia Daily News